AMD Opteron™ 4200 Series Processor is a low power x86 cloud processor just got more efficient.
END USER BENEFITS
Designed for enterprise workloads while still delivering a performance punch
- A 33% increase in core count packs in plenty of processing performance into a smaller, more efficient, 8-core design while maintaining very aggressive power/thermal ranges.
- Power per core that shatters the 5W/core mark, a new record for an enterprise-class x86 processor
- New power management capabilities allow for larger parts of the processor to be almost completely powered off when not being used, dramatically reducing idle core power consumption by up to 39% over the previous generation of processors and allowing active cores to run at a higher frequency
- AMD Turbo CORE technology takes advantage of additional power headroom to digitally boost all cores simultaneously by up to 300MHz and can boost up to 1.2GHz when only half of the cores are active, allowing applications to finish tasks quickly and return to lower power states
- Straight-through computing helps ensure that there are not bottlenecks or compromises as up to eight threads get their own dedicated core when workload demands increase with maximum memory channel and I/O speed (across all SKUs/price points) helping to ensure that there are no bottlenecks or feature compromises unlike Intel, who purposely throttles down capabilities
Delivering new levels of enterprise scalability for demanding cloud applications and SMB/Infrastructure applications
- Scale your cloud workload with up to 8 cores in a low power processor
- Efficiently scales performance/watt based on the innovative modular design and aggressive power capabilities
- New power saving features, like TDP Power Cap, put the customer in control of more aspects of power efficiency than ever before on AMD Opteron™ processor-based servers
- Up to 8 cores and more processing throughput6 than the previous generation helps your cloud easily scale within the most fluid and spiky processing environments, easily responding to the elastic needs of clouds
Bringing unparalleled efficiency to your processing, power and financial budgets
- A low enterprise-class power per core with up to 8 cores in only 35W of power.
- 32nm design and a smaller die drive more efficiency at the processor level to help ensure you are maximizing your performance per watt per square foot
- Virtualized infrastructure deployments can enjoy 33% more VMs in the same power and thermal ranges5 thanks to the new AMD-V™ virtualization features, allowing small/medium businesses to grow with their business needs on a single virtualized platform
- New instructions make processing technical software commands more efficient, allowing for more computing per cycle, which helps drive down processing requirements so that web/cloud applications can more easily process their workload and return to lower power states
- Easy on your budget through both unprecedented value and low power consumption, helping hold down not only acquisition costs but also the long-term total cost of ownership
- New Core Architecture - drives more core density and greater throughput
- AMD Turbo CORE Technology - allows processors to independently boost their clock speeds, scaling frequency up 300MHz-1.2GHz automatically to respond to the need for more application performance
- C6 PowerState - reduces processor power consumption at active idle by up to 39%
- AMD Virtualization™ (AMD-V™) Technology 2.0 - heightens virtualization efficiency with new enhancements to the AMD-V™ suite of virtualization to optimize data center rack space and help minimize management tasks