eG Innovations Blueprint for Citrix CLM enables the instant deployment of the eG Enterprise unified monitoring solution for your Citrix virtual infrastructure. With a single click, the Blueprint installs the eG Universal Monitor, which provides performance visibility across every layer and every tier of your infrastructure (network, storage, virtualization, desktops, and applications) without need for any local provisioning.
This blueprint will install the eG Enterprise Agent software for Windows servers running Citrix applications (Citrix Endpoint Management, formerly XenMobile, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops, formerly XenApp and XenDesktop Connection Broker, Provisioning services, StoreFront, Citrix ADC, formerly NetScaler, License Server, Active Directory, MSSQL Server etc.). You can use this blueprint to monitor, diagnose and report on the health of every layer of every tier of your Citrix server farm and access the reports from eG’s cloud-based management console.
- Installs quickly on multiple operating systems: A single click on the eG Innovations Blueprint results in the automatic installation of the eG Universal Agent on any of over 10 operating systems - eg., Windows, Linux, Solaris, AIX, HPUX, FreeBSD, Tru64, CentOS, and so on.
- Provides wide monitoring coverage: A single eG agent is capable of providing end-to-end and indepth performance insights of over 150+ applications, 10+ operating systems, and 10+ hypervisor from an integrated console.
- Offers deep insights into the performance of Citrix infrastructures: The eG Universal Agent that the blueprint deploys is Citrix-ready and embeds the intelligence to discover and monitor all of the core components of a Citrix infrastructure such as the servers, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops brokers, the Citrix Hypervisor, formerly XenServer hypervisors, Citrix ADC and Secure gateways, Citrix StoreFront, Citrix Endpoint Management, Citrix License servers, Active Directory servers, and many more.
- Supports a 100%, web-based management console: The eG Universal Agent bundled with the blueprint has been pre-configured to report performance information it collects to a ready-to-use eG management server on the cloud; this means that no resources need be provisioned for the management server or its database in your datacenter or on the cloud! Users will be allowed access to a wealth of performance information related to their monitored infrastructure, via eG’s web-based management console.
- Enables accurate root-cause isolation: eG’s central console also alerts users to real/potential performance issues in their mission-critical IT services, and using an intelligent correlation engine, intuitive graphics, and conventional color-codes, accurately pinpoints the source of these performance issues.
- Provides real-time dashboards on the performance of Citrix infrastructures: eG Enterprise provides out-of-the-box, dashboards that reveal the current health of your Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops deployments. These dashboards also help locate, at-a-glance, the pain points of these mission-critical deployments. A detailed User Experience Dashboard is also available, which helps the virtual desktop users themselves to measure their experience with a virtual desktop, and see how their activities are impacting resource usage on that desktop.
- Provides extensive reporting and graphing capabilities: Users will also be allowed access to a wide range of historical reports on the performance of their Citrix farms; these reports help analyze past trends in performance, forecast future trends, and effectively plan the future capacity of your critical servers/systems.
Merits of using Blueprint:
- Hassle-free installation of the monitoring service:
The eG Blueprint provides a ready-to-use deployment template for the eG agent. By clicking the Blueprint just once in your Blueprint catalog, you can install the eG agent on any Windows/Unix platform, within seconds! Moreover, the agent is pre-programmed to report to a cloud-based management server, thus saving users the trouble of deploying the management server and configuring the communication between the agent and server. Using just a browser, users can access the eG management console anytime after the installation to receive instant performance and problem updates.
- Quick and accurate problem isolation in Citrix infrastructures, increases service uptime:
The eG Universal Agent that the Blueprint deploys is capable of monitoring the Citrix environment end-to-end. It offers specialized models for monitoring a wide variety of Citrix components – eg., Citrix Hypervisor, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops broker, License server, AD server, etc. The agent also auto-discovers the inter-dependencies between these components. These can be application-application dependencies, VM-application dependencies, hypervisor-VM dependencies, and VM-VM dependencies. Service topology representations in the eG management console depict the Citrix infrastructure topology and the inter-dependencies between the components in the topology. When performance degrades, the eG management server automatically correlates the performance of the components on the basis of the inter-relationships, and accurately isolates the source of the performance setback. Using conventional color-codes, the service topology representation in the console clearly indicates where the bottleneck is. Quick and accurate root-cause identification helps users implement the right solution at the right time, thus minimizing infrastructure downtimes, reducing penalties, and increasing the returns on investment in Citrix solutions.
- Reliable alerting minimizes firefighting:
eG also embeds an automatic performance baselining ability. This uses the past history of metrics to automatically compute time of day thresholds for all metrics. Any deviations from the norm are flagged as proactive alerts. By computing thresholds automatically, the eG manager greatly simplifies the configuration and fine tuning of the monitoring system, reduces false alerts, and ensures that potential performance issues are captured and nipped at the bud.
- Helps right-size the infrastructure:
eG maintains a history of performance and problem information in a central repository. Using the eG management console, users can quickly run queries on the repository to plot graphs on past performance or generate detailed reports on historical performance. The graphs/reports enable post-mortem diagnosis of problem conditions, and help detect disturbing performance trends, persistent problems, and recurring problem patterns. Probable performance issues can thus be detected and resolved, before any permanent damage is done. Moreover, using the reports/graphs that eG provides, administrators can easily study past load/performance trends on the Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops servers in their Citrix farm, predict future trends, and thus efficiently plan the future capacity of the servers.