The NC373F supports multiple functions, it can assume any of three defined roles for ProLiant servers connected to a fiber-optic network:
- As a TOE device for Windows only, the NC373F shifts processing of the communications protocol stack (TCP/IP) from the server CPU to the network adapter, thereby freeing CPU cycles for other duties. With TOE, server efficiency is increased.
- As an iSCSI HBA, the NC373F combines two well-known technologies, SCSI and Ethernet, to provide HPE ProLiant servers ready access to storage boxes over the same wire used for networking. iSCSI enables the NC373F to function as both a NIC and an HBA from a single connection. This capability is valuable when it wants to consolidate resources and simplify the infrastructure with a single I/O device.
Fiber-optic customers wanting greater server efficiencies
- The NC373F increases the efficient use of TCP offload resources, making sure that the connections dynamically move between host and NIC, depending upon workload
- With TCP/IP Offload Engine (TOE) for Windows only, the NC373F reduces the CPU cycles required to process network traffic in Windows environments
- By using Receive Side Scaling in multiple CPU systems, network traffic is no longer bottlenecked because the NC373F supports dynamic load balancing of incoming traffic across CPUs
Corporate data centers looking to simplify their operations
- When the NC373F is deployed as an iSCSI initiator, it functions as an HBA with accelerated performance for access to individual storage devices and SANs
- The flexibility of the NC373F enables users to simplify their management operations by having a single I/O device provide both networking and storage needs
- By providing unified networking and storage connections, the NC373F enables the deployment of a single fabric environment