Huawei OceanStor 18500 V3 is a high-end storage systems dedicated to setting a new benchmark for the high-end enterprise storage field and providing the better data services for enterprises' mission-critical businesses.
With the SmartMatrix 2.0 system architecture, HyperMetro gateway-free active-active feature, flash-oriented convergence technology, next-generation hardware platform, and a full range of efficiency improvement and data protection software, the OceanStor 18500 V3 delivers reliability, performance, and solutions that meet the storage needs of various applications such as large-scale database OLTP/OLAP and cloud computing. Applicable to sectors such as government, finance, telecommunications, energy, transportation, and manufacturing, the OceanStor 18500 V3 is a better choice for mission-critical applications.
SmartMatrix 2.0 system architecture
- 4-controller symmetric engine: Four controllers are innovatively integrated into the 6 U space of an engine and interconnected through a passive backplane. In addition, continuous cache mirroring and back-end disk controller interconnection techniques are incorporated, offering 4-controller redundancy. The four controllers act as a hot backup for each other. Even if three controllers fail to work, service stability is protected to maximize continuity of mission-critical applications, preventing the single-point running status that can be seen in scenarios where traditional high-end storage systems are upgraded or a controller is faulty.
- Load balancing: Load balancing is implemented among controllers, thereby accelerating application access and eliminating performance bottlenecks.
- High-speed PCIe interconnects: PCIe 3.0 high-speed buses enable lossless data exchange between controllers and between engines. The data exchange bandwidth is up to 640 GB/s, providing users with low delay, high bandwidth, and excellent stability.
- Scale-out smooth expansion: SmartMatrix 2.0 allows for smooth and linear expansion of system resources to a maximum of 16 controllers, 16 TB cache, and 9600 disk drives, addressing the ever-increasing data storage needs in the future and helping customers maximize return on investment (ROI).
A full range of reliability technologies, helping customers protect business continuity
- Full hardware redundancy: All components and channels are redundant to prevent single points of failure. Fault detection, recovery, and isolation can be implemented for each component and channel independently, ensuring stable system running.
- Unique rapid data restoration technology: Innovative block-level virtualization is employed to reduce the per-TB data reconstruction time from 10 hours to 30 minutes. Compared with traditional high-end storage systems, the OceanStor 18500 V3 reduces by 95% the data damage risk caused by disk failures.
- DIX+PI end-to-end data protection: Based on DIX and PI, the OceanStor 18500 V3 provides solutions to protect data integrity all the way from application systems to HBAs, storage systems, and disks. Such end-to-end data integrity protection solutions prevent damage to data, further protecting services.
- A full range of data protection software: The Hyper series data protection software suite includes snapshot, clone, integrated backup, remote replication, and active-active storage array working mode, addressing intra-system, local, remote, and multi-region data protection requirements.
- Advanced active-active solution: HyperMetro implements active-active mirroring with load balancing and cross-site takeover without service interruption, preventing data loss and system breakdown from occurring in critical application systems. The gateway-free design can effectively reduce the purchase cost, simplify the deployment, and enable the active-active solution to be smoothly upgraded to the Disaster Recovery Data Center Solution (Geo-Redundant Mode).
Next-generation storage hardware, providing the optimal performance solutions in the industry
- Performance and specifications: The OceanStor 18500 V3 uses next-generation Intel multi-core processors and provides up to 256 host ports. With the next-generation PCIe 3.0 buses and 12 Gbit/s SAS 3.0 high-speed disk ports, the OceanStor 18500 V3 is able to provide a maximum of 640 GB/s system bandwidth, ensuring concurrent access to core databases at a low latency. The OceanStor 18500 V3 supports high-speed different models without the assistance of third-party systems.
- Convergence of SSDs and HDDs: The advantages of traditional and solid-state storage media are combined, bringing the performance of different types of storage media into full play and striking an optimal enterprise-level SSDs. A single storage system can be equipped with a maximum of 16 TB cache and 9600 disk drives, providing up to 27.6 PB of capacity, 3,010,007 SPC-1 IOPSTM, as well as performance and specifications.
Flash-oriented system architecture design, quickly responding to critical service requirements
- Flash-oriented storage architecture: The OceanStor 18500 V3 employs the flash-oriented system architecture. Based on the Flash technology, CPU scheduling, cache, RAID, and collaboration between OceanStor OS and SSD firmware are specially designed to suit flash memory. The OceanStor 18500 V3 can intelligently sense HDDs and SSDs, automatically distinguish between media types, and dynamically select the optimal algorithms to provide 1 ms of stable I/O response time in the event of massive service access requests, thereby ensuring the optimal performance of critical applications.
Simplicity through convergence
Powered by OceanStor OS, the OceanStor 18500 V3 provides converged, flexibly scheduled, unified resource pools to enable free data flowing, helping enterprise IT architectures evolve into cloud-based architectures.
- Convergence of SAN and NAS: SAN and NAS are converged to provide elastic storage, improve storage resource utilization, and reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO). Underlying storage resource pools directly provide both block and file services, thereby shortening storage resource access paths to ensure that the two services are equally efficient.
- Convergence of heterogeneous storage systems: Thanks to the heterogeneous virtualization function, the OceanStor 18500 V3 can efficiently manage storage systems from other mainstream vendors and unify resource pools for central and flexible resource allocation, easy data migration, and elimination of data islands.
- Convergence of entry-level, mid-range, and high-end storage systems: The OceanStor 18500 V3 storage systems are the only storage systems in the industry that enable entry-level, mid-range, and high-end storage systems to interwork seamlessly with one another. Data can freely flow among storage products of balance between performance and cost.
- Convergence of primary and backup storage: The built-in backup function enables data to be efficiently backed up without additional backup software, simplifying backup solution management.
Tested for firmware version V300R003 with FC, iSCSI, NFS