The DS8700 is the most advanced model in the IBM System Storage DS8000® series. It includes IBM POWER6®-based controllers, with a dual 2-way or dual 4-way processor complex implementation. Its extended connectivity, with up to 128 Fibre Channel/FICON® ports for host connections, make it suitable for multiple server environments in both open systems and IBM System z® environments. If desired, the DS8700 can be integrated in an LDAP infrastructure.
The DS8700 supports thin provisioning. Depending on your specific needs, the DS8700 storage subsystem can be equipped with SATA drives, FC drives, and Solid® State Drives (SSDs). The DS8700 can now automatically optimize the use of SSD drives through its no charge Easy Tier feature. The DS8700 also supports Full Disk Encryption (FDE) feature.
Its switched Fibre Channel architecture, dual processor complex implementation, high availability design, and the advanced Point-in-Time Copy and Remote Mirror and Copy functions that incorporates make the DS8700 storage subsystem suitable for mission-critical business functions.
The IBM System Storage DS8700 highlights include:
- Robust, flexible, enterprise class, and cost-effective disk storage
- Exceptionally high system availability for continuous operations
- Centralized and simplified management
- IBM POWER6 processor technology
- Capacities from 1.1 TB to 614/2048 TB (FC/SATA)
- An eight drive install group of Solid State Drive (SSD). This feature offers the support of an eight drive install group of SSD (half disk drive set), providing additional price/performance and capacity flexibility to help address application and business requirements.
- Point-in-time copy function with FlashCopy, FlashCopy SE, or Remote Pair FlashCopy, and Remote Mirror and Copy functions with Metro Mirror, Global Copy, Global Mirror, Metro/Global Mirror, z/OS Global Mirror, and z/OS Metro/Global Mirror with Incremental Resync capability
- Thin Provisioning features
- Dynamic data relocation facilities with Easy Tier
- Support for a wide variety and intermix of OSs, including IBM System i® and System z
- Designed to increase storage efficiency and utilization, the DS8000 can be part of a Green Data Center
Additionally, the IBM System Storage DS8700 provides new functional capabilities, allowing you to choose the combination of price and efficiency that is right for your application needs. New capabilities include:
- IBM POWER6™ processor technology: The DS8700 features IBM's POWER6 server technology to help support high performance. Compared to the POWER5+™ processor in previous models, the POWER6 processor can enable over a 50% performance improvement in I/O operations per second in transaction processing workload environments. Additionally, sequential workloads can receive as much as 150% bandwidth improvement. The DS8700 offers either a dual 2-way processor complex or a dual 4-way processor complex.
- PCI-e IO Enclosures: To improve IOPS (IO Operations Per Second) and sequential read/write throughput, the new IO Enclosures are directly connected to the servers via point-to-point PCI-e cables. IO Enclosures no longer share common 'loops', they connect directly to each internal server via separate cables and link cards.
- Four-port device adapters: Device adapter processor hardware upgrade to processor resources for more IOPS performance to enable better utilization of SSD drives.
- Non-disruptive upgrade path for the DS8700 Model 941 and additional Model 94E expansion frames allowing processor, cache, and storage enhancements to be performed in a production concurrently.
- Industry-standard disk drives: The DS8700 offers a selection of disk drives, including Solid State Drives (SSD), SATA drives, and Fibre Channel Encrypting drives, allowing a DS8700 to scale up to 1,024 TB of capacity.
- Four-port Fibre Channel/FICON adapters: These adapters are designed not only to enhae connectivity, but to increase configuration flexibility because the individual ports can be configured to support Fibre Channel or FICON®.
- Processor memory offerings: The DS8700 model with 2-way configuration offers up to 128 GB of processor memory and the DS8700 model with 4-way configuration offers up to 384 GB of processor memory. In addition, the Non-Volatile Storage (NVS) scales to the processor memory size selected, which can also help optimize performance.
- Host attachments: The DS8700 model with 2-way configuration offers up to 16 host adapters and the DS8700 model with 4-way configuration offers up to 32 host adapters. Only Fibre Channel/FICON adapters are supported.
- High availability: The DS8700 model is designed and implemented with component redundancy to help avoid many potential single points of failure.