The Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series provides a foundation for IT management to refresh existing or design new data centers to achieve greater performance while using less energy and space, and dramatically reducing operating costs.
Intel® Xeon® processor 5500's server technology features:
- Intelligent Performance that automatically optimizes performance to fit business and application requirements.
- Automated Energy Efficiency that scales energy usage to the workload to achieve optimal performance/watt and reduce operating costs.
- Flexible virtualization that offers performance and manageability in virtualized environments to improve IT infrastructure and reduce costs.
New standard business servers, high-performance computing (HPC) systems, and workstations built with this new generation of Intel® Microarchitecture, codenamed Nehalem, offer an unprecedented opportunity to dramatically advance the efficiency of IT infrastructure and provide unmatched business capabilities.
With up to 9x the performance compared to installed single-core servers, up to 50 percent lower server idle power compared to the previous generation, and unique virtualization capabilities, Intel Microarchitecture Nehalem lets you deliver more business esults from every clock cycle, every IT man-hour, every watt, and every inch of data center space. The lower TCO and performance of the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series offers the opportunity to transform the competitiveness of your business and the economics of your data center.
Application performance is critical for day-to-day business operations, as well as creating new products and reaching new customers. But many data centers are now at capacity, and new data centers are expensive to build. By refreshing data center infrastructure with more efficient servers, you can deliver additional performance and scalability within the same energy and space footprint.The Intel Xeon processor 5500 series, with Intel Microarchitecture Nehalem, brings intelligent performance to the most trusted server architecture. The Intel Xeon processor 5500 series is the one of the most adaptable server platforms, adjusting performance and power usage in real time to meet the exact requirements of your computing workloads, while allowing manual adjustment for IT control.
The Intel Xeon processor 5500 series brings together a number of innovative technologies to deliver intelligent performance:
- Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, together with Intel® Intelligent Power Technology, delivers performance on demand, letting processors operate above the rated frequency to speed specific workloads and reduce power consumption during low utilization periods.
- Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology benefits from larger caches and massive memory bandwidth, delivering greater throughput and responsiveness for multi-threaded applications.
- Intel® QuickPath Technology and an integrated memory controller speed traffic between processors and I/O controllers for bandwidth-intensive applications, delivering up to 3.5x the bandwidth for technical computing.
- The intelligent performance of the Intel Xeon processor 5500 series also gives IT fine-grained manual control to adapt to changing priorities or to meet service-level agreements (SLAs).
- Delivers up to 2.25x performance improvement within a power envelope similar to previous processors.
- Boosts performance for specific workloads by increasing processor frequency.
- Delivers up to 3.5x bandwidth improvement for data-intensive applications.
- Boosts performance for parallel, multi-threaded applications.
- Up to 144 GB of main memory supports higher performance for data-intensive applications.
- Boosts performance while reducing traffic to the processor cores.
- Reduces server idle power consumption by up to 50 percent versus the previous generation of two-socket server processors.
- Allows idling cores to be reduced to near-zero power independent of other cores.
- Puts processor, memory and I/O controller into the lowest available power states that will meet the requirements of the current workload.
- Enhances virtualization performance by up to 2.1x.
- Hardware assists boost virtualization performance by allowing the OS more direct access to the hardware.
- Intel® VT FlexMigration enables seamless migration of running applications among current and future Intel processor-based servers.
- Intel® VT FlexPriority improves virtualization performance by allowing guest OSs to read and change task priorities without VMM intervention.
- Extended Page Tables (EPT) provide better performance by reducing the overhead caused by page-table utilization of virtual machines.
- Enables directly assignable I/O to Virtual Machines, helping speed data movement and enhancing performance.
- Delivers up to 2x throughput improvement with extensive hardware assists to I/O devices.