The Lenovo ThinkSystem SN850 is a high-performance server that offers enhanced security, efficiency, and reliability features to handle business-critical workloads. The blade server incorporates up to four second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors. The processors feature up to 28 cores each and use Lenovo TruDDR4 memory, which runs at speeds up to 2933 MHz.
The SN850 server uses the new second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable Gold and Platinum processors and memory can now operate at speeds up to 2933 MHz. It also includes the UEFI-based Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager for rapid system setup and diagnosis, and Lenovo XClarity Controller management processor for systems management and alerting.
Scalability and performance
The SN850 offers the following features to boost performance, improve scalability, and reduce costs:
- Up to 7 SN850 servers can be installed in one Flex System Enterprise chassis.
- Supports second-generation Intel Xeon Processor Scalable processors
- Improves productivity by offering superior system performance with four processors, each up to 28 cores or up to 3.8 GHz core frequency, and supporting a processor Thermal Design Power (TDP) rating of up to 165W.
- Supports up to four processors, 104 cores, and 208 threads, which maximizes the concurrent execution of multi-threaded applications. When four processors are installed, they are connected in a Mesh topology to maximize inter-processor communication (requires processors with three UPI connections)
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with energy-efficient Intel Turbo Boost Technology allows CPU cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Speed Select Technology provides improvements in server utilization and guaranteed per-core performance service levels with more granular control over processor performance.
- Intel Deep Learning Boost (Vector Neural Network Instruction set or VNNI) is designed to deliver significant, more efficient Deep Learning (Inference) acceleration for high-performance Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) enable acceleration of enterprise-class workloads, such as databases and enterprise resource planning.
- Each processor has 6 memory channels with up 2 two DIMMs per channel. Up to 3 TB of memory capacity using 64 GB RDIMMs. Higher memory capacity by using Persistent Memory.
- Supports 2933 MHz and 2666 MHz memory DIMMs
- Supports the new Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory; up to 24 Data Center Persistent Memory Modules (DCPMMs) can be installed in conjunction with regular memory DIMMs. DCPMMs are up to 512 GB each, for a total of up to 12 TB of Persistent Memory.
- Optional support for high-performance PCIe-attached NVMe Flash Storage solid-state drives (SSDs) can significantly improve I/O performance.
- Embedded 4-port 10Gb Intel adapter built into the system board is based on the Intel Ethernet Connection X722 network controller.
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology, the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor Scalable family. This integration helps to dramatically reduce I/O latency and increase overall system performance.
- Support for high-bandwidth I/O adapters; up to four in each SN850 server.
- Support for up to 40 Gb Ethernet, 16 Gb Fibre Channel, and FDR InfiniBand.
- High-speed USB 3.0 port for connectivity to external devices.
Availability and serviceability
The SN850 provides the following features to simplify serviceability and increase system up-time:
- The server offers Single Device Data Correction (SDDC, also known as Chipkill), Adaptive Double- Device Data Correction (ADDDC, also known as Redundant Bit Steering or RBS), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts, such as CPU, memory, and adapter cards.
- The Dual M.2 Boot Adapter supports RAID-1 which enables two installed M.2 drives to be configured as a redundant pair.
- Hot-swap drives support integrated RAID-1 redundancy for data protection and greater system up-time.
Solid-state drives (SSDs), which offer significantly better reliability than mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- The power source independent light path diagnostics functionality provides individual LEDs that lead the technician to failed (or failing) components, which simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- The built-in XClarity Controller continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failures to minimize downtime.
- Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts): Processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, flash storage adapters), RAID controllers, and server ambient and sub-component temperatures. Alerts can be surfaced through the system XClarity Controller to managers such as Lenovo XClarity Administrator, and Microsoft System Center. These proactive alerts let you take appropriate actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability.
- Built-in diagnostics in UEFI, using Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, speed up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time, and supports diagnostic function and to collect service data to USB key drive or remote CIFS share folder.
- Auto-restart in the event of a momentary loss of AC power (based on power policy setting in the XClarity Controller service processor).
- Support for the XClarity Administrator Mobile app running on a supported smartphone and connected to the server through the service-enabled USB port, enables additional local systems management functions.
- Three-year customer replaceable unit and on-site limited warranty; next business day 9x5. Optional service upgrades are available.
Manageability and security
The following powerful systems management features simplify the local and remote management of the SN850:
- Support for Lenovo XClarity Administrator, providing auto-discovery, inventory tracking, monitoring, policy-based firmware updates, address pool management, configuration patterns and operating system installation.
- The server includes an XClarity Controller (XCC) management processor to monitor server availability and perform remote management. XCC Advanced is supported as standard, which enables remote KVM, mounting of remote media files (ISO and IMG image files), boot capture, and power capping.
- UEFI-based Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, accessible from F1 during boot, provides system inventory information, graphical UEFI Setup, platform update function, RAID Setup wizard, operating system installation function, and diagnostic functions
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 support enables advanced cryptographic functionality, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Supports Secure Boot to ensure only a digitally signed operating system can be used. Supported with HDDs and SSDs as well as M.2 drives.
- Support for Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager which captures real-time power and temperature data from the server and provides automated controls to lower energy costs.
- Industry-standard Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) NI support for faster, stronger encryption.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can help prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supporting operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, which allows an application to run in its own isolated space that is protected from all other software that is running on a system.
The SN850 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, increase energy availability, and contribute to a green environment:
- The component-sharing design of the Flex System chassis provides ultimate power and cooling savings.
- The Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family of processors offer significantly better performance than previous generations of processors, while fitting into the same TDP limits.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed, which reduces power draw.
- Solid state drives (SSDs) use as much as 80% less power than traditional spinning 2.5-inch HDDs.
- The SN850 uses hexagonal ventilation holes which can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system.