The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 is a 4-socket server that features a 4U rack design with support for GPUs, and is optimized for price and performance and expandability. The SR860 now supports second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable Family processors, up to a total of four, each with up to 28 cores. Using the same design as the 2U ThinkSystem SR850, the SR860’s agile design provides rapid upgrades for processors and memory, and its large, flexible storage capacity helps to keep pace with data growth.
The Lenovo ThinkSystem SR860 provides the advanced features and capabilities of the SR850 server plus the addition of support for four full-height slots or two double-wide GPU slots. The server offers support for up to four processors and 48 DIMMs, mix and match internal storage, and enterprise-grade systems management with the embedded Lenovo XClarity Controller.
The SR860 has space for 16x 2.5-inch drive bays, up to 8 of which can be configured as AnyBay drives - supporting SAS, SATA or NVMe drives. NVMe drives are high-speed, low-latency storage, ideal for storage tiering.
The flexible ThinkSystem SR860 server now supports second-generation Intel Xeon Scalable Gold or Platinum processors and can scale from two to four processors. Built for standard workloads like general business applications and server consolidation, it can also accommodate high-growth areas such as databases and virtualization. The ThinkSystem SR860’s agile design permits rapid upgrades for processors and memory, and its large, flexible storage capacity helps to keep pace with data growth.
With the capability to support up to 48 DIMMs, four sockets, mix-and-match internal storage with up to 16 drives, support for two high-performance GPUs, and a dedicated slot for Gigabit or 10 GbE networking, the SR860 provides unmatched features and capabilities in a 4U rack-mount design.
Scalability and performance
The SR860 offers numerous features to boost performance, improve scalability and reduce costs:
- Supports second-generation Intel Xeon Processor Scalable processors
- Supports Gold and Platinum level processors in the Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family. Processors supported have up to 28 cores, core speeds of up to 3.8GHz, and TDP ratings of up to 205W.
- The SR860's processor mezzanine tray design enables you to start with two processors and 24 DIMM sockets and upgrade to four processors and 48 DIMM sockets when you need it, helping lower initial costs and manage growth.
- Up to four processors, 104 cores, and 208 threads maximize the concurrent execution of multithreaded applications.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor TDP.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core, up to two threads per core.
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Intel Speed Select Technology provides improvements in server utilization and guaranteed per-core performance service levels with more granular control over processor performance.
- Intel Deep Learning Boost (Vector Neural Network Instruction set or VNNI) is designed to deliver significant, more efficient Deep Learning (Inference) acceleration for high-performance Artificial Intelligence (AI) workloads.
- Intel Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (AVX-512) enable acceleration of enterprise-class workloads, including databases and enterprise resource planning (ERP).
- Support for up to 48 TruDDR4 memory DIMMs operating at up to 2933 MHz means you have the fastest available memory subsystem and memory capacity of up to 6 TB using 48x 128 GB 3DS RDIMMs
- Supports 2933 MHz Performance+ memory DIMMs which allow configurations of 2 DIMMs per channel to operate at the 2933 MHz rated memory speed.
- Supports the new Intel Optane DC Persistent Memory; up to 24 Data Center Persistent Memory Modules (DCPMMs) can be installed in conjunction with regular system memory. DCPMMs are up to 512 GB each, for a total of up to 12 TB of Persistent Memory.
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of, or along with, traditional spinning drives (HDDs), can improve I/O performance. An SSD can support up to 100 times more I/O operations per second (IOPS) than a typical HDD.
- Up to 16x 2.5-inch drives -- SAS or SATA HDDs, SAS or SATA SSDs and the new NVMe PCIe SSDs -- provide a flexible and scalable all-in-one platform to meet your increasing demands.
- Support for up to 8 NVMe PCIe SSDs in a 2.5-inch form factor maximizes drive I/O performance, in terms of throughput, bandwidth, and latency.
- New high-speed RAID controllers from Broadcom provide 12 Gb SAS connectivity to the drive backplanes. A variety of RAID adapters are available, with cache up to 4 GB and support for 16 drives on a single controller.
- Support for two high-performance GPUs up to 300W each. GPUs adds additional processing power to the server.
- Supports the Lenovo patented-design M.2 adapter for convenient operating system boot functions. Available M.2 adapters support either one M.2 drive or two M.2 drives in a RAID 1 configuration for boot drive performance and reliability.
- The server has a dedicated flexible LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) slot, supporting a variety of 10 GbE or Gigabit Ethernet adapters that do not occupy one of the standard PCIe slots.
- A total of up to 13 PCIe slots: 11 general-purpose PCIe 3.0 slots plus slots dedicated to the LOM adapter and the M.2 adapter.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that improve the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the previous generation of PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
Availability and serviceability
The SR860 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The server offers Single Device Data Correction (SDDC, also known as Chipkill), Adaptive Double-Device Data Correction (ADDDC, also known as Redundant Bit Steering or RBS), memory mirroring, and memory rank sparing for redundancy in the event of a non-correctable memory failure.
- The server offers hot-swap drives, supporting RAID redundancy for data protection and greater system uptime.
- The Dual M.2 Boot Adapter supports RAID-1 which enables two installed M.2 drives to be configured as a redundant pair.
- The server has up to two hot-swap redundant power supplies and six N+1 redundant fans to provide availability for business-critical applications.
- The power-source-independent light path diagnostics uses LEDs to lead the technician to failed (or failing) components, which simplifies servicing, speeds up problem resolution, and helps improve system availability.
- An LCD system information display panel (available on some models and configure-to-order) provides more detailed diagnostics by displaying all error messages and VPD data needed for a service call, thereby aiding with problem resolution and system uptime.
- Proactive Platform Alerts (including PFA and SMART alerts): Processors, voltage regulators, memory, internal storage (SAS/SATA HDDs and SSDs, NVMe SSDs, M.2 storage, flash storage adapters), fans, power supplies, RAID controllers, server ambient and subcomponent temperatures. Alerts can be surfaced through the XClarity Controller to managers such as Lenovo XClarity Administrator, and Microsoft System Center. These proactive alerts let you take appropriate actions in advance of possible failure, thereby increasing server uptime and application availability.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) offer more reliability than traditional mechanical HDDs for greater uptime.
- The built-in XClarity Controller continuously monitors system parameters, triggers alerts, and performs recovery actions in case of failures, to minimize downtime.
- Built-in diagnostics in UEFI, using Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, speed up troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager collects and saves service data to USB key drive or remote CIFS share folder, for troubleshooting and to reduce service time.
- Auto restart in the event of a momentary loss of AC power (based on the power policy setting in the XClarity Controller service processor)
- Support for the XClarity Administrator Mobile app running on a supported smartphone and connected to the server through the service-enabled USB port, enables additional local systems management functions.
- Three-year or one-year customer-replaceable unit and onsite limited warranty, 9 x 5 next business day. Optional service upgrades are available.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the SR860:
- Lenovo XClarity Controller (XCC) monitors server availability and performs remote management. XCC Advanced is standard, which enables remote KVM. Optional XCC Enterprise enables the mounting of remote media files (ISO and IMG image files), boot capture, and power capping.
- Lenovo XClarity Administrator offers comprehensive hardware management tools that help to increase uptime, reduce costs and improve productivity through advanced server management capabilities.
- New UEFI-based Lenovo XClarity Provisioning Manager, accessible from F1 during boot, provides system inventory information, graphical UEFI Setup, platform update function, RAID Setup wizard, operating system installation function, and diagnostic functions.
- Support for Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager, which captures real-time power and temperature data from the server and provides automated controls to lower energy costs.
- Integrated Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 support enables advanced cryptographic methods, such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Supports Secure Boot to ensure only a digitally signed operating system can be used. Supported with HDDs and SSDs, as well as M.2 drives in the M.2 Adapter.
- Industry-standard Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) NI support for faster, stronger encryption.
- Intel Execute Disable Bit functionality can prevent certain classes of malicious buffer overflow attacks when combined with a supported operating system.
- Intel Trusted Execution Technology provides enhanced security through hardware-based resistance to malicious software attacks, allowing an application to run in its own isolated space, protected from all other software running on a system.
The SR860 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy, reduce operational costs, and increase energy availability:
- Energy-efficient planar components help lower operational costs.
- High-efficiency power supplies with 80 PLUS Platinum certifications
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability turns individual processor elements on and off as needed to reduce power draw.
- Low-voltage 1.2 V DDR4 memory offers energy savings compared to 1.35 V and 1.5 V DDR3 DIMMs.
- Solid-state drives (SSDs) consume as much as 80% less power than traditional spinning 2.5-inch HDDs.
- The server uses hexagonal ventilation holes, which can be grouped more densely than round holes, providing more efficient airflow through the system and thus keeping your system cooler.
- Optional Lenovo XClarity Energy Manager provides advanced data center power notification, analysis, and policy-based management to help achieve lower heat output and reduced cooling needs.